Thursday, January 3, 2008

January 3, 2008

What does it mean to be safe?

In Psalm 121:7, the Psalmist says, "The Lord will keep you from all harm - he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

Sounds great! Where do I sign up for an eternity of being "kept from all harm?" And how should I react when "harm" befalls me?

Among my family, friends, and co-workers (believers all), we are currently dealing with deadly diseases, debilitating injuries, defiant children, and disappearing jobs (to name just a few of the circumstances).

In the midst of these tempests, I am awed by my fellow believers, as I watch them respond with graceful dignity. Yes, there are tears and pleas for prayers. But the strength of character they display as they cling to God demonstrates a deep and abiding faith in the One who they know will carry them through to the other side.

When the storm comes, I need to follow their example and run into the arms of the One who will not let go, no matter what. He will not leave or forsake me. I can rest in him knowing he is powerful enough to cure or carry into eternity the loved one in his care.

Maybe there is a "harm" more serious than bodily illness and injury. Perhaps safety is to be found in a relationship rather than in a circumstance.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble" (Psalm 46:1 NIV).

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe" (Proverbs 18:10 NIV).

No comments: